One of the main purposes Mr. and Mrs. George C. Loveland had in mind when making provision for the community house was to perpetuate the name of the family the located in Dixon more than 175 years ago. Otis Loveland, the grandfather of George C. Loveland, came to Dixon with his wife, two sons and three daughters in 1837.
George C. Loveland was born in Dixon in 1847. In 1880, he married Emma Tomlinson in Mt. Carroll, Illinois. Mrs. Loveland was born in Mt. Carroll in 1852 and died in 1937. Both are buried in Oakwood Cemetery.
Mr. & Mrs. Loveland spent their lives in Dixon and vicinity and were vitally interested in the progress of this community. The felt that every normal individual craves and is entitled to a social life. They generously provided the building and equipment for the use of all who cared to participate in its activities.
The facility was built at a cost of $200,000.00 and was dedicated in 1940, which would be over $3,200,000.00 in today’s dollars.